Monday, October 29, 2012

Autumn Goals

After a great week of running, I am beginning to get really excited about training for some upcoming goal races in few weeks.  I am planning on trying to set two PRs in totally opposite race distances, within a week of each other.  This may seem quite foolish, but I think that it will work out if the recovery from one goes well.  So what are the two goal races?

The first one isn't officially a race, but the Bent Creek Gobbler 50k is a run that has been on my list for awhile.  I've run half of it the past two years, but have never gone for the full for various reasons.  This run is perfect for a trail 50k PR as well.  Of course there are flatter mountain courses out there, but none quite as beautiful or fun or free!  I've been trying to get my mileage back up and have been concentrating on getting a good long run in each weekend to get used to the "suffer" factor to prepare for this one.  The Gobbler will be in 4 weeks, the weekend after Thanksgiving.

Goal:  sub - 4:30:00


The second goal race, a week after a 50k, is the Mistletoe 5k.  After running my first 5k a little over a month ago, and doing better than anticipated, I set my sights on the Mistletoe as my course to set a new 5k PR.  The course is mostly slightly rolling and there isn't a big 300ft climb in the last mile (like my last 5k).  I've been concentrating lately on doing some more specific speedwork to reach my time goal and will continue doing so leading up to the race.  The speedwork will also give me a bonus in my 50k training as well!

Goal:  sub - 0:19:55

No comments:

Post a Comment