Monday, March 11, 2013

New River Training Week 2...sorta

Mon - off

Tues - 47min/ 5m/ 1000' - Crowders - Got out late from a staff meeting at school, but was still able to make it out to the trails since the park now closes at 8pm.  The rain started coming down steady as soon as I started.  I took a headlamp just in case, but turned around a litte early due to the rain and some leftover pain in the shins and lower calf after last weeks speedfest.  I think I'll be fine.  Took today easy although it called for hill repeats.

Wed - 40min/ 3.6m/ 700' - SOMO - Headed up Saddleback only to have the achilles say "uh-uh", so I turned around very early and put my legs into the freezing cold Jacob Fork River.  Last week's speedfest did more damage than I thought.

Cold

Thurs - off

Fri - off

Sat - 66min/ 8.2m/ 800' - Lake Norman - Had a really good run with Tommy on the Hawk Loop and a bit of the road.  The achilles pain was acting good today.  Just a twinge sore so I didn't take any chances by adding too many miles.  Great run!

Sun - 86min/ ~11m/ 1200' - Salem Lake - Meet up with David Olsen and he gave me a tour of the mt bike trails at Salem Lake.  There were really nice and my achilles felt great!  After about 7 miles of the mtb trails, we hit the super highway that is the lake "trail" and cruised on back to the cars.  Stellar run and I think that the achilles issue is about to go away.

Totals =

Time - 3hrs59min
Miles - 28.1
Vert - 3,500'

Well, due to my accidental speed runs last week, I tweaked my achilles and I decided to back way off the intensity and miles this week to hopefully get rid of it fast.  I do think that I have accomplished that, but time will tell.  I did some light icing and foam rolling from Wednesday to Saturday and took two days off during the week and I think it is good to go now.  It still feels a bit tender, but if I stick to the flats and rein back the speed this coming week then all should be well.  Hopefully, I'll be able to get back on the plan.  I definitely haven't lost any fitness over it so that is good and it happened early in the training cycle.  Here's to an injury free rest of training!  Fingers crossed.


No comments:

Post a Comment