Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Uwharrie Taper Week 1

Mon - 2hrs/ 6.2m/ 2000' - Looking Glass Rock - Since Hannah and I had the day off of work and were still in Brevard, we decided to hike up to the top of the famous Looking Glass Rock.  What a trail that is!  Glad I got to go up the pluton we left out the day before.

Tues - off

Wed - 35min/ 4m/ 300' - Jacob Fork Park - Heard that there was new trail built at a local park so I thought I would check it out.  Pretty nice work they did out there.  The mtn bike trail is about 2.5 miles long and there is a .5 mile rock dust trail around the baseball fields to round out a short taper workout.

Thurs - 48min/ 6.2m/ 400' - DART - Another great run with the DART crew in Davidson.  Felt fresh today!  Taper is starting to work.

Fri - off

Sat - 2hrs47min/ 16.5m/ 3500' - Sultan 50k - Got out for half of the Sultan 50k since I have Uwharrie next week but I had a blast.  I meet everyone at the start and tried to get pics of everyone heading up the trail at the start.  Then I drove over to the turnaround and waited for the front runners to show up and run back with them.  I hit the trail with Chubby Cheetah and was taking it pretty easy most of the day, but then I started to keep up with the Cheetah on the downhills and got myself in cat and mouse game with him.  I didn't realize what I was doing until I was almost done and promptly slowed my butt down coming into the finish.  No need to reck the body before Uwharrie.  Afterward I just sat around by the fire and enjoyed sharing company with a bunch of great folks from all over NC, SC, and VA.  Great day and extremely scenic run!  Love the South Mountains!

Sun - off - repairing an old beat up pair of outsoles on my Nike Zoom Streak XC most of the day.  Glad to say that I think with the hefty portion of shoegoo I slapped on those suckers, I may get another 100 miles out of them.  Love those shoes!

Totals =

Time - 6hrs10min
Miles - 32.7
Vert - 6,200'

Feeling pretty solid about the first taper week for Uwharrie, but I am not a big fan of tapers.  I feel like I am missing out on some truly epic training runs.  Just goes to show that it isn't about the races, its about the fun you have in the training.




panorama from Looking Glass

Up on Looking Glass with Pilot Mtn in the background

An Icy Upper Falls



One of the views from Upper Falls Trail.  You can make out Grandfather and the gorge on the horizon


What!!!! I got here an hour early!

kumbaya

Doug!!!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment